This course is aimed at those wishing to explore a more abstract way of working and will draw on the images and memories that inspire you. Artist Liese Webley will guide you through a series of exercises designed to give you the confidence to develop your own abstract painting style.
- What do we understand when we hear the term ‘Abstraction’?
- Liese will introduce her approach to abstraction and how she uses it in her own art practice.
- We will take a Look at our gathered source material and use it as a starting point for creating abstract sketches, moving on to exercises that focus on different ways of looking at a subject/scene differently.
- We will also begin to explore colour and composition.
- Build on last week’s starting points looking at what we were drawn to and expanding on this with more sketches and drawings on paper, board or canvas.
- Make more detailed studies of colours that you are attracted to and learn more about using them in your work.
- Work on ways of bringing a composition together and creating a sense of balance.
- Time to be playful and brave with decisions! Working from your sketches and previous works look at how your sense of abstraction is developing.
- How are colours, shapes, objects relating to each other? Reflect on how it’s going and with guidance from your tutor plan how you can bring it all together into a painting.
- Work on building up layers
- Explore texture adding depth and interest to your paintings.
- As in every session we will be reflecting on how our paintings are developing with the tutor and each other
- Continue to develop your own visual language building on what you have learned from the previous sessions.
- If working on one piece look at how to bring it to a conclusion or how you might use it as a starting point to take you further into the world of abstraction.
- During the course we will be creating a safe space to share ideas and our work and at the end of the course there will be time to share your work with the group if you would like and feedback what you have learnt and how you might take it forward.
What you will need to bring along to sessions:
All basic materials are provided but if you want to work on a canvas or canvas board you will need to bring these with you.
Photos of places that you can work from to create abstract images. These can be photos that you have taken or images that you have found that interest you.
Friday Mornings, 10.30am – 1pm
- Fri 01 Mar
- Fri 08 Mar
- Fri 15 Mar
- Fri 22 Mar
COURSE TUTOR: Liese Webley
Liese Webley is a practising artist who creates colourful abstract paintings which she exhibits nationally. She is also a qualified art teacher who delivers creative workshops for both adults and children Liese is passionate about sharing her love of colour and exploring the world of abstraction. Seeing the familiar around us in a different way and developing our own unique visual language while creating in an informal fun way.
Workshop attendees get 10% off all food and hot drinks at the Café Bar.
VENUE: EXETER PHOENIX
*Subject to a £1.50 ticketing system charge. We don’t charge this to make a profit. Find out more >>