Artists Moving Image Commission 2021
Applications have now closed
As part of our 2021 commissions scheme we will award one Artists Moving Image Commission of £1500. Exeter Phoenix Artists Moving Image Commission is specifically intended for contemporary visual artists who are based in the South West region. The commission aims to:
- Recognise and support a sense of potential
- Provide a platform for regional artists to share fresh and inspiring ideas from a range of perspectives
- Assist in the development of a moving image based artwork for screen, installation or online display.
What Can you Apply For?
We are looking for applications which outline original and engaging ideas, whether more traditional or experimental, conceptual, narrative or abstract in form and structure.
We will accept applications for the development of an existing moving image practice or a new direction for a contemporary visual artist currently working in another discipline,
The work may originate in any format including video, digital media, animation or film, but we would normally expect the resulting work to be primarily accessible in a digital presentation format. Above all we are looking for a sense of potential that can be realized with our support.
Exeter Phoenix is not restricting how the award is spent but you will be expected to provide a brief budget if you are invited to interview. Costs might include artists fees, crew, travel costs, covering personal time, location fees and materials.
We are open to being part-funders/commissioners where additional funding has already been, or is later, secured by the artist.
The successful applicants will also receive in kind support to the value of £1500, which will contribute towards the production. This includes access to:
- Hire of Exeter Phoenix film and sound equipment
- Exeter Phoenix studio hire
- Access to Exeter Phoenix film production facilities
- Support and mentoring from Exeter Phoenix and/or industry experts
- A schedule of industry standard training and workshops in cinematography, post-production and script development provided by Exeter Phoenix.
- Advice in developing audiences.
Subject to agreement, the finished work may be premiered at Two Short Nights Film Festival and may be programmed before cinematic features in Studio 74.
Who Can Apply?
The Artists Moving Image Commission is open to individuals (or groups) who reside in the South West region, as defined by Arts Council South West. This covers the counties of Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Hampshire and Somerset, and the unitary authorities of Bath & North East Somerset, Bournemouth, Bristol, Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly, Isle of Wight, North Somerset, Plymouth, Poole, Portsmouth, South Gloucestershire, Southampton, Swindon, Torbay and Wiltshire.
We will accept applications from practicing contemporary visual artists including from current students, graduates and self-taught artists and will expect to see a reasonable prior level of engagement with and activity within a contemporary art context.
Applicants must reside in the South West, UK and must be over 18 to apply. The selected artist will be expected to make occasional visits to Exeter, therefore please consider this when applying.
- Applications open Wed 13 January 2021
- Applications close 5pm Fri 5 Mar 2021
- Decisions made by the week commencing Mon 15 Mar 2021
- Interviews will be scheduled to take place in the week commencing Mon 22 Mar 2021
- Training and workshops will take place in Apr 2021, dates tbc
- Projects are to be completed by Mon 1 Nov 2021
Application and Assessment
All applications must be submitted via our online submission form. Applicants will also be asked to complete a Diversity Standards form when applying.
Applicants will be asked to submit an original and concise proposal, outlining the tone, themes, genre and strategy of your ideas. Exeter Phoenix will accept ideas to be presented in written form (up to 400 words) or as a video (up to 3 minutes).
All applicants will receive a confirmation email to state we have received your application. Applications will be presented to the commission panel after the deadline.
Decisions will be made the week commencing 15 March 2021. All applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. If you are invited you to pitch your application at an interview you will be asked to present your ideas to the panel and discuss them in more detail.
You will also be asked to provide the panel with a brief budget and examples of how your production will meet our aims and objective outlined above.
If you have any questions please send an email to email@example.com
How To Apply
Applications for this opportunity have now closed.